Zooty Owl's Crafty Blog

Colourful Crochet, Craft, Cooking, and Contemplations

Tuesday 24 March 2015

Circles in Square Grannies Blanket

Blanket made for my brother's birthday!

granny blanket

 COLOURS:

Top Left to Right:      
Maroon and Saxe Blue;    Jade and Teal;   Orange and Cream;  Red and Dark Grey

2nd Row Left to Right:
Lime and Avo;  Turquoise and Baby Blue;   Lime and Avo;    Rust and Beige

granny blanket


PATTERN:  CIRCLE IN A SQUARE GRANNY

Each block is made up of four Circles in Square Grannies joined using the join-as-you-go method with a 3 row border in light grey; 

The blocks are then joined using my  VISIBLE JOIN

 granny blanket

YARN:  100% Acrylic (mostly Elle).

I love crocheting with Acrylic - it is very easy on the hands and the end product is very easy to wash.    Provided the blanket is cared for properly it holds its shape for many years!    I have blankets made in the early 90's that still look new!


granny blanket

I use a gentle washing liquid (NOT powder as that is inclined to leave a residue) and baby fabric softener to machine wash my crochet blankets.      Set the machine to the full delicate cycle (including spin), temp 30 degrees C.   Hang on the line to dry - fold the blanket in half over the line, rather than pegging the corners as this stretches your blanket!

I always pop the dried blanket in the tumble dryer for half an hour (on the coolest setting) with an anti-static tumble dryer sheet.      This fluffs up the fibres and makes the blanket smell super fresh!


granny blanket

I buy a few bars of delicious smelling soaps, wrap them in white tissue paper and pop them in between the blankets when I pack them away.  



BORDER:  Four rows of block stitch;    1 row single crochet

EDGING:  One row blanket stitch

granny blanket

6 comments:

  1. Your brother will love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely lovely and a great blend of colours.

    I agree wholeheartedly about using the right yarn for the job. I know some are very sniffy about anything which is not super natural but I cant afford the very expensive ones and some of the 'natural' fibres are really rough and jaggy to work with. The long life of acrylics is perfect for a blanket and the ease of care. I have two cats so being able to sling something in the washing machine is a definite winner for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it .. this is the perfect colour combination and pattern for a 'gents' blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sooo love your work, your stitches are perfect. I can only hope and practice practice practice to crochet like you do. Also, your soap tip is great! Who knew?!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful granny square blanket you made Zelna! I love it and great job and nice colors too.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, I love your crochet, is beauty, I love this colors, I follow your blog, I have a blog about crochet with free patterns and free crochet diagrams, visit me , hugs from Brazil.
    Visite meu blog - Tita Carré - Crochet

    ReplyDelete